Dedicated to the writings of Saint Luke.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Day of Rest

Some one suggested on the internet that mixing a little religion in the economic stimulus package was not all bad. Unfortunately, I did not read the article so now I am wondering what that religious content might be. How about a day of rest?


Being open 7 days a week has got to be a drain on the employees and management. Chick-Fil-A is a unique fast food operation in that it has never been open on Sunday and has made money every year since 1946.


Over the past twenty years, Americans have increased the number of hours they work every week and have reduced the amount of vacation time they have taken every year. This weekend I had appointments Saturday and Sunday because I was unable to meet the people during the week. However when I do work weekends I try to take time off during the week to avoid exhaustion and fatigue which is the result of working more hours and completing less work. I find I am more productive when I work 4 and half days a week than when I am working more hours.


I am not advocating a return to the mandatory Sunday Blue laws or every place being closed on the same day. I am suggesting voluntarily introducing some common sense. A day of rest with the resulting quiet time may actually stimulate the economy.


Copyrighted 2009


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home