Dedicated to the writings of Saint Luke.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In Jesus’ Name

The prayer began and ended with these words: I Jesu namn.


I Jesu namn

till bords vi ga

valsigna Gud den mat vi fa.

Gud till ara, oss till gagn

sa fa vi mat

i Jesu namn.


In Jesus' name

to the table we go

God bless the food we receive.

To God the honor, to us the gain.

So we receive food

in Jesus' name.


This Swedish prayer recited at our meals for many years has lost its meaning to descendents who no longer speak the native tongue of their ancestors. The prayer that had so much meaning to me for many years is meaningless to my children and has become meaningless to me because I no longer recite it at our meals.


In reading Acts, I recognized that the powerful introductory words of my Swedish prayer are an important part of the message that the early church proclaimed. The commission the apostles received required them to proclaim repentance and forgiveness in Jesus’ name. Jesus has received new authority that makes his name a powerful source of benefits. These benefits include healing (Acts 3:6, 16; 4:7, 10, 30), and through baptism in Jesus’ name the people will also receive release of sins and “the gift of the Holy Spirit” (2:38).


Copyrighted 2008


1 Comments:

Blogger Tommy Wasserman said...

Tack Richard!

If you just provde those small circles in two of the words, "gå" and "få" then it is 100% Swedish :-)

There are several versions of the prayer, always including the first phrase "I Jesu namn till bords vi gå/går." The origin is uknown. There is also a traditional melody composed in Strasbourg 1542, to this prayer. The same melody is used for two other psalms.


Tommy Wasserman (Swede)

11:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home