Dedicated to the writings of Saint Luke.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Is Marketing Salvation Cynical?

This past week I have been discussing a possible explanation of the rapid growth of Christianity in its early years. On August 19th, a book review by Frank Matera became available, I and others having been alerted to this and other reviews by Mark Goodacre. I mention this because for a brief moment I wondered if I was being cynical in suggesting that the early Christians marketed salvation.

The first sentence of the Matera’s review says: “The remarkable growth of early Christianity was due in no small measure to the salvation it promised . . . .” The promise of salvation is the brand marketing of Christianity. Matera then says: “What is surprising is how little attention New Testament scholarship has devoted to this topic.” Matera is referring to salvation and I to marketing.

Salvation in the New Testament: Perspectives on Soteriology, edited by Jan G. van der Watt, is a must read book to be borrowed from the library to avoid sticker shock.

Copyrighted 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home