Dedicated to the writings of Saint Luke.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

You are a priest for ever

“You are a priest for ever

after the order of Melchizedek.”


In Psalm 110:4, David is designated as a priest for ever. It would not surprise me that someone wrote this verse some time after Jeremiah announced the end of the Davidic dynasty. However it is not necessary to determine when this verse was written. It is more important to ascertain why this verse was overlooked by the gospel writers.


I suspect that the gospel writers were as surprised as we were to learn that Jesus was the eschatological high priest. Luke for instance records that the crowd proclaimed Jesus as he entered Jerusalem riding on a donkey, “Blessed is the king that cometh in the name of the Lord.” These words of the crowd recognized that they were witnessing some kind of victory procession of the king and his people into the temple precincts. Although Jesus accurately recorded the words of the crowd and emphasized the enthronement of Jesus as a messianic king, no one knew what the victory procession meant!


Matthew, Mark and John, writing later, all altered the proclamation of the crowd to read “Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.” No matter which gospel we read, we recognized that Jesus was being proclaimed as the messianic king. Matthew, Mark and John deemed it politically expedient to tone down the embarrassing words of the crowd.


Copyrighted 2008


1 Comments:

Blogger Rileysowner said...

You are assuming that they are toning down the words of the crowd. I think it would be much more reasonable to assume that is what the crowd said rather than assume the opposite. As for Psalm 110, it is clearly Messianic, and the gospel writer recount Jesus use of it in the following spots.

Matthew 22:44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

Mark 12:36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Luke 20:42,43 And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Since Christ states that it is David speaking in this psalm, I would say that it was actually written by David.

7:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home